Thursday, December 09, 2004

Shine on you crazy diamond

Shane's park

Apparently, Shane has a park named after him. This park. I think it's on the college campus, but can't say for sure. Colleges do crap like this, though, so it makes sense. And I think I detect the Allegany Mountains and a cheap lookin' aluminum shed, which are likely components of a St. Bonaventure University landscape.

I'm not convinced that they had Shane's three hearts in mind when they created this park. Conspicuously missing: drinking fountain spouting cheap beer, swingset (with curly slide), full-size naked photo of Janet Reno, and Muppets. Any of 'em.

I hope you've noticed that I'm trying not to dwell on Things, but they pop up out of nowhere and bitch-slap me. Like this park... I was just loping along with my day when, POP, Uncle Chuckles sent out a mass email with this park photo. The photo was taken in September on the only sunny day western NY ever had. Truly remarkable.

And last week Katya invited me to watch A Charlie Brown Christmas with her and Anne. Did I ever tell you how Shane was obsessed with Christmas specials and had them all on tape under other titles, like "Chuck F (Uncle Chuckles) Lights the Menorah," and "Carlton A Sings the Blues?" We would order a pizza and watch Christmas specials, especially Muppety ones, perched on Shane's bed-on-bricks and turning up the volume when his nextdoor neighbor Joe D started singing along with Sinatra. Shane called it The Joe Datillo Variety Hour, or Joe D Sings Romantic Standards, or Joey D Live In Concert.

Okay, not dwelling. Moving on.

I will also try not to fill my blog with weeks of Going Home Soon Anxiety and Slowly Recovering from Trip Home Angst. I will not go on and on about how my father plans to abduct me THIS time (he's already finagled a way to get me on a plane - scary), or how my mother's voice cracks when she tells me she's really, really, REALLY looking forward to seeing me and can't I stay longer?

A few other things I am consciously not dwelling on: joblessness, increasing hairlessness, increasing fear of phones, insomnia... Lookame not dwelling! Holy cow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it wouldn't make us Shriners. it would make us Shaners.

Anonymous said...

lovey, are you asking me to call you every day? i think you are...
we missed you for the o.c. tonight. big things happened. but you didn't miss christmukkah, that's next week. when it's official that ryan is dating his foster aunt-in-law. caleb is lindsay's dad!!! (don't pretend that you don't know what i'm talking about, missy.)
love you.