Sunday, December 19, 2004

Questions and... questions?

In a couple of weeks, I will have a job and I will no longer be theees close to a heart attack every waking moment. I know this. You would think this would cut into the heart-attack-on-every-horizon feeling. It doesn't.

I've been thinking about my brothers a lot lately, especially since my brother Tom called the other week (so mysterious!), and because I miss them more when I'm with them. When I'm actually with them, you heard me, and I will be with them shortly for the annual holiday soul massacre. Also, I've been having conversations with people who think guys are scum, even some guys who admit to their scumminess. I seem to be the only person I know who doesn't believe in guy scumminess.

This may seem odd to you, if you know how much and how easily I'm hurt by my brothers, but it has nothing to do with scumminess. I think that if they were sisters we would have the same emotional leverage with one another, and we would hurt one another unknowingly just the same way.

I'm sad about the way guys have been made to feel inferior, clumsy, and inherently scummy. Why isn't anyone else sad about this? Why is it okay that every sitcom on tv has a bumbling, clueless, under-qualified, sometimes scummy dad? Is it okay for women to believe that the men in their lives have that guy inside them at all times, and shout whenever a shadow of that cliche appears as though they have irrefutable proof? Simultaneously, this allows men to slip into the stereotype and shrug their shoulders as if to say, "you should have known. I'm a guy. I'm a scum/idiot/blunderer. Don't you watch sitcoms?"

Rise above, people!

Strange diatribe for a Sunday night, admittedly. My brain keeps moving around on me and making some things crystal clear and others very, very foggy. No answers here, folks.


3 comments:

Sarah said...

What does it say about society that those "bumbling, clueless, under-qualified" guys always have hottie wives? Contrast?

My brother isn't scummy. He's just greedy.

The end.
Love,
Sarah

JoBiv said...

That's true! My brother Chris and I have a little song we sing called "Hot Girl with a Chumpy Guy." It's just that phrase, over and over, to a little tune. It's almost as good as my "Furthering Stereotypes" song, which goes like this:

Furthering stereotypes
Furthering stereotypes
Let's make other people uncomfortable
Furthering stereotypes

Which is up there with my OCD chant:

Obsessive
Compulsive
Obsessive
Compulsive
What's your
Disorder
Obsessive
Compulsive

Sarah said...

Jo, you continue to amaze and impress me and make me so glad I know you.