Monday, May 02, 2005

(not) speaking of the elephant in the room...

DannySmacks: Someone has to talk to him. You have to SAY what you're saying to me. He desperately wants to hear it.
JoBiv: That he's out of control? He wants his only daughter to attack him? I don't think so.
DannySmacks: SOMEone has to do it.
JoBiv: Why not you?
DannySmacks: I live here... How can I? I just try to keep him up, y'know? As much as I can.
JoBiv: I can't do it to his face. (Looking to Cripps, who is silent, sitting cross-legged on the floor between us.) Have you said anything?
Cripps: I'm planning on saying something tomorrow. I've got to patch my kitchen ceiling and I think I can get him to help me.
JoBiv: Well what are you gonna say?
Cripps: Oh I'm not gonna have any problems coming up with something to say...
DannySmacks: You missed it...
JoBiv: Missed what?
Cripps: Dad got belligerent one night and started yelling at Lois about how she's a terrible mother to Baby.

(Silence)

JoBiv: Holy shit.

(Silence)

**************

JoBiv: Is Cripps coming to breakfast?
Smacks: Umm... I don't think so.
JoBiv: Where is he?
Smacks: Listen...
(Sound of coughing and gagging from upstairs bathroom)
JoBiv: Poor guy.
Cousin Mixx: I guess Beast Ice doesn't agree with Cripps... Haha...
Smacks: (giving JoBiv a Look...)
JoBiv: So Dad's not going to Jell-o town today, eh?
Smacks: (shaking head)
JoBiv: So they're not gonna talk today...
Smacks: Surprised?
JoBiv: Not really.

*****************

Mom: Order whatever you want. What's twenty bucks when you're thousands in debt?
JoBiv: Hmm.
Mom: But anyway, he's really destroyed over the things Grandma has done to him, all this crap she's pulled... and your uncles and aunts aren't helping, of course. He's just in a really low place right now.
JoBiv: Is he seeing someone? Are any of his doctors helping?
Mom: Well yes, as much as they can.

(Silence)

JoBiv: Do they know about the drinking?
Mom: (flustered) Yes they all know about the drinking. What do you think you're going to order? We can split the spring rolls.
JoBiv: Mom... Who do you talk to?
Mom: Oh I have my friends...
JoBiv: But if you need to talk to someone, would you do it? I mean, a psychia-
Mom: Yes, of course I would! I mean, of course! Don't worry about me.
JoBiv: Because you need to just do it. Don't think about who or what else the money should go to, you have to do it for yourself if you need it.
Mom: Joey, I will, don't worry about that.
JoBiv: You better.

****************

Dad: JoMary, JoLovey, you look radiant today...
JoBiv: (noting his watery eyes) Thanks, Dad.
Dad: Where are you going with those fancy shoes?
JoBiv: Out with Teeny.
Dad: With Little Tina H. She's not so little anymore. I remember when she was just two years old, standing on their back deck...
JoBiv: ... blowing raspberries. See ya.
Dad: (spreading freakishly long arms for a hug) Have a good time.
JoBiv: (trying not to flinch, accepting hug, hugging back...) Bye Dad.

*****************

JoBiv: So is anyone coming over today?
Mom: Well, Baby's sick, and the other babies usually come on Thursdays anyway, so we just rescheduled.
JoBiv: So you can come to the airport.
Mom: (hesitant) If you want me to.
JoBiv: Of course I want you to.
Mom: I mean... I thought... If you want to speak to your father...
JoBiv: On the way to the airport? God, I couldn't do that to him.
Mom: Okay, okay...
JoBiv: I was thinking, actually, of writing a letter. You know, so I can edit my words. I don't want to say something I can't take back, y'know? I could really hurt him...
Mom: (Sighing loudly) You ready to go?
JoBiv: I was born ready.

No comments: