Monday, January 03, 2005

And now we breathe.

"Guess what's in my bag."

"I don't know, what?"

"No, guess."

"Hmmm... an elephant?"

Giggle. "Nooo..."

"What?"

"No, guess!"

"I don't know, Sierra. What could be in there?"

"It's my homework."

"Ohhh... I thought it was an elephant! I feel pretty silly."

Sober face. "It's not." Blink blink. "Close your eyes."

"Close my eyes??"

"Yes, it's a surprise."

"What is?"

"What's in my bag."

"Oooh maybe it IS an elephant."

"Close your eyes."

"Yes, ma'am." I close them. Dutifully. I hear some grunting and eventually a zipper.

"Okay, open."

"Wow, it's homework!"

"Surprise!"



Phew. The first day is over. Sierra is still freakin' cute in my eyes, we both emerged without any damage, physical or emotional, and I think we're both looking forward to hanging out tomorrow.

The stairs were indeed a challenge. Her mother told me she should go up the right side to use her strong hand. She insisted on going up the left, which meant I had to support her and lift her more than I'd expected. Her braces seem to make her more awkward and less able. The steps are so steep. I don't know how we'll do it as she grows. I essentially carried her.

I discovered through the day that all of Sierra's stubborn moments come from a reluctance to deal with her body's limitations. She doesn't want to eat her snack because it's such a huge distance from her room to the kitchen, and it takes a whole 20 minutes out of playtime to crawl to the kitchen, get up in her seat (with my help), feed herself one-handed, clean up a little, get down from her booster seat, and crawl back to her room. Snack time was even a little longer because she was content in her chair, and didn't seem to look forward to the process of getting down again. The same issue arose with the bathroom.

"Sitting in a W" was also a problem. It is clearly the most comfortable position for her body, but it also encourages her legs to point out in odd directions and her muscles don't stretch properly. So when I remind her to change her body, she listens the first five times, and starts to scowl after ten times. I don't blame her. I'd be annoyed with me, too.

And then there's her language. Her mouth doesn't move quite normally. She can be very clear, and I'm pretty good with my guesses. Still, I told her, "Sierra, I may have to ask you to say things over and over and over. It will take us a while to get used to each other."

She rolled her eyes, smiling, "I know."

Tomorrow I discuss salary with M, take care of Lil Pea for a trial run of an hour, then hustle back over to practically Roxbury to meet Sierra's bus. All the luck anyone wished me should now be transferred to tomorrow, thank you.

1 comment:

meeralee said...

...waiting with bated breath for an update on your Tuesday's hustling...