Sunday, October 17, 2004

HAHEM: a poeem.

Above: "We are right and they are wrong. The modern Republican Party is controlled by nuts and I intend to prove it." Hahahaha... He said nuts.


In a Station of the Metro

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.

-Ezra Pound


Discuss.

I had this poem on my mind last week sometime. I think I paraphrased it badly for my dad, but I don't recall what brought it to mind.

It comes to mind now, however, because I have a problem with the Kon-Tiki project. When I realized what I'd done, I closed everything I had done and left in a huff. Turns out I wrote too much. And at that point I wasn't even done giving all the information I wanted to give. Grr.

Then Ezra Pound came to me in a misty moment. I remembered this poem, which was originally 35 lines long. He worked and worked and worked at it, and then it became the perfect nugget that I have come to know and love.

And so I have composed a similar poem for Kon-Tiki:

In the Middle of the Frickin' Pacific

The Norsemen cowering on a swelling wave:
Pimples on a silken turquoise face.


The fourth graders will love it!

What? What's that you say? I get paid in proportion to the book's length?


Aargh. Back to work.

No comments: