Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I'm a'gonna do it! I am I am!

Instead of sitting in this apartment and HATING IT, I decided to be proactive and develop some escape strategies. One of them was to volunteer somewhere so I'll have a place to go instead of wandering the mean streets until I surrender to a life of dealing crack or selling my body.

I felt so brave, so bold, so... altruistic. Yes, I would offer my many talents and skills to those in need! The world NEEDS more JoBiv in it! I will save this sad world single-handedly!

Or... I'll weed a garden.

I looked through the VolunteerMatch website, and found that most of the positions were simply beyond my capabilities. All of them involved - GASP - talking to people! Phone calls, even! How barbaric. How... beyond me! My throat closed up just thinking about it.

So instead of leaping into a tutoring project, working with the elderly, helping write grants, feeding the poor lepers of the world and such, I chose pruning. The Kelleher Rose Garden (listen up, ye stalkers!) needs fifteen volunteers to bring it back to its former beauty. I was always curious about that hedged-in garden in the Fens, and I got excited when I saw I could get a backstage pass.

St. JoBiv of the Roses. I am improving the world! Out of my way!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Goooooo Jo! (like the old GI Joe commercials)

And thanks for the website -- I've been poking around for volunteer opps here and not finding much; there was a lot on VolunteerMatch. And volunteer! is one of my 43 Things, so I gotta do it, I just gotta!

Working in the rose gardens sounds delightful. And fragrant. Delightfully fragrant. Ah.

meeralee said...

Fabulous notion. Do tell how it goes!