Sunday, August 21, 2005

Bullet holes in my foot

Right now the heat bugs are buzzing outside. I don't know what kind of bugs they are, but maybe you know what I'm talking about. They come out on those humid days when the sun feels like lead on your shoulders. They hide in tall grass, I think, and spin a straight buzz out into the air in ten second intervals. I always think of the sound of the ocean when I hear them - one buzzy wave sliding over the sand, retreating to be replaced by another swell. They seem very loud to me, but if I'm outside I find that they also canvas the world for me so that everything seems silent.

I was going to say that the heat bugs make me lonely. I think that would be inaccurate. I make myself lonely.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I know these bugs of which you speak. I hate those bugs. They make me not hear the TV good.

Sarah said...

Cicadas?

Where'djoogo?