Friday, October 28, 2005

Someone else's money well spent

Let's not speak of moving day (sunday), Baseline work (due Monday), and various things keeping me from being ready for either of those things. Let's talk about Pea and NannyJo.

So, it's hard for me to comprehend that other people aren't as devoted to the lil people they watch as I am. Devotion is definitely the right word here, I believe, because I'm one of very few nannies following Pea around the playground so she can attempt stairs and slides and whatnot, one of the few who picks up the baby at random moments to sing a song or kiss her hair, one of the very few who TALKS to the baby constantly.

On the one hand, I can understand all levels of caregiving I see. I realize that I'm not seeing people at their absolute best at all times. I realize that they consider my brand of nannying a sort of hyper-vigilant, anxiety-ridden fakery. I realize that they don't know how relaxed I am, generally, and how much I enjoy myself in Pea's company.

This is all to say that I'm beginning to love our music class, because I'm beginning to feel at ease. It's so nice to see the same moms/nannies/dads/babies from week to week, to lean back in their presence, watch the kids do what they do, help them here and there, interact with adults, etc. It's especially nice for me because I don't feel quite so unique in that setting. The class forces everyone to be alert and participatory, like I usually am (after 11am or so, that is). It forces everyone to notice and enjoy the alien life of babyhood. I get a chance to show Pea off a bit, show myself off a bit, glean information from other people.

It's totally worth Miriam's $200.00.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo! Is that $200 an hour, a day, a week or a month for your fabulous company? Do you find that Lil Pea benefits from the music classes? Think I should sign Ash up for some?

JoBiv said...

It is very cool to see her clap to the beat, dance around, attempt to sing, but I think it's more my determination that she love music rather than her one-hour a week sessions with ten other kids and a crazy woman with a guitar.

I think it's $200.00 for the "semester of music. It's a lot of fun for us both - nice to have something structured with other kids. Give it a go, Rani!