Sunday, October 23, 2005

But here's the thing...

He pours us Apple Jacks with marshmallows. No milk, spoons optional. When my small helping is gone he lets me grab a few of his, making a fake fuss about it. He bought two boxes of the stuff because it goes perfectly with his season 1 DVDs of Star Trek: The Next Generation. He allows my hero worship of Patrick Stewart. We briefly discuss how Worf managed to keep his mad Klingon Skillz despite the fact that he was raised among peace-lovin' humans. (This is not a fact we both happen to know; we're not that bad. It's in the episode.)

In the middle of the night, he rolls over, curls his legs under mine. If I don't scootch back, he pulls me in tight with one arm across my body. Even if I DO scootch, he still pulls a little, holding me close for a second.

It's all part of the illusion, of course, but such a comfortable illusion it is...

No comments: