Friday, September 23, 2005

Yes, but what does Pea have to say on the subject?

Pea thinks she's talking to me.

I noticed this last week or so. While I prepare her lunch, mushing avocado or hiding cheese in Beech-Nut sweet potatoes, she sits happily in her high chair, chomping veggie booty. I prefer not to watch, because veggie booty makes me ill (just to think of the spinach particles floating about!). When I do look, occasionally, to reassure myself that she's not turning purple due to a firmly lodged booty-glob, she smiles and laughs and tries to charm me.

And then, she pulls the "Now that you're looking" maneuver.

Pea grasps a puff in her right hand. She looks me in the eye. She thrusts her right hand straight out from her body. She deliberately loosens her grip, and smiles. The booty pings lightly on the floor.

Trying not to laugh, I sternly turn my body toward hers and sign "stop" with both hands, a sort of chopping motion onto an open palm. I say, sternly, I swear, "No, Pea. Stop. I don't like it."

She talks back!

Before I finish my reprimand, she yells at me in a stream of indignant gibberish. Then she repeats the maneuver. The episode ends when I remove the excess booty from her tray whilst she complains loudly, and I quickly begin the spooning of the mushy food.

Then today, while we played on the living room rug, I asked her, "Pea, are you hungry?"

"Adaht."

I laughed a little. It sounded so definite. I asked again, "Are you feeling hungry?"

"Adaht."

Yes ma'am!

Later in the day I asked the same question. This time, the repeated answer was "Ikeee." I've concluded that she understands that I require an answer, but has yet to commit to one word in response.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo

This is Meera's sister. Your Pea is a riot! Sounds very smart. Asher can say a definite NO and YES in addition to loads of other adult stuff that I don't always want to hear. I think perhaps "adaht" is much better than hearing "no no no NO NO!" when you ask are you hungry! Hee.

JoBiv said...

Hi Rani!

It's funny, I'm trying to model "yes" and "no" with Lil Pea, but I also have this anticipatory terror at the idea of her learning "no." Hehehe. Your beautiful Asher definitely had a bigger vocab at 1 year - very impressive little guy! (And of course, that's a compliment to the parents... ;) )

Anonymous said...

Know what? When I get round to having no. 2, I think you'll have to teach me this signing thingy that you use with Lil Pea. Would love to try it out next time round.