Saturday, September 24, 2005

A little bit cruisey, a lotta bit boozey

Just imagine... A huge dance floor under the stars, stunning views of a twinkling Boston horizon, planes surging overhead, glamorous people in sparkling evening wear nearly impaling your feet with their spiked heels as they reel from drunkenness and sea sickness...

And when I say evening wear I mean skanky club clothes. And when I say glamorous I mean full of self-importance. And, if I haven't worn out this construct, when I say dance floor, I mean sticky pit of claustrophobia.

It's a dream come true!

Now, I have to say, I was pretty stunned when I first saw the Providence II lit up, booming with music, bursting with people. I had this moment of wonder at the possibility of it all. And then I realized that I'd experienced something like this before. It's called a Frat Party.

So Norah, her roomie Melissa, and your favorite JoBiv sat on the quieter deck for a good portion of the night. We let the wind push us around and we talked of many things: traumatized friends, BC Law School Students (the main population on the boat), the status of the whole big wide world... And then we decided to eat some underheated pizza and join the dance party.

And at times, yes, it was beautiful, surreal, exotic. But mostly, I spent the night dodging women in the aforementioned scary shoes, saying, "that's okay," to their, "sorry! Excuse me's" and trying to dance while my shoes were firmly glued to the floor by a mixture of spilled drinks and what could only be military grade epoxy.

The night could have ended when I was sitting on the bench lining the entire side of the boat, the wind blowing through my hair, and then something wet landed on my face. I looked up, as it couldn't possibly have come from the water thirty-odd feet below. A guy in a suit was leaning over the side, who, as I looked up, spit toward the water. The wind caught it. I dodged it this time. He leaned over further and wretched. I grabbed Norah and launched us into the crowd before we could find out what else would come out of his mouth.

Check. Don't need to Booze Cruise ever again in my lifetime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the big thing to do at UB law too, the booze cruise. At first it sounded like fun — the views, the water, the drinking. Then I realized, "Wait, I'd be trapped on something like an island with a bunch of drunk, self-important skanked-out law students. That's got to be one of the circles of hell." So I've never been. But only because if law school has taught me anything, it's to avoid places where law students are.