Wednesday, September 28, 2005

All we like sheep

The Brookline Chorus repertoire includes a section of Handel's Messiah about sheepies a'wandering. The librette:

All we like sheep,
have gone astraaaaay.
We have turn-ed
Every one to his own way.

Of course, when sung, this sounds like,

Oh, WE LIKE SHEEP!!

I have to say, I certainly do.

I love this song already, but I have the sneaking suspicion that I love it because the director loves it, and I have a girl-crush on her. Some of her directives:

For "have gone astraaaay" wandering melodies: "Decrescendo... like you, the tenors, have indeed wandered astray. Perhaps you are headed toward yon cliff..."

For "We have turn-ed!": "C'mon, altos! Come clean! Ya know ya did it! Admit your guilt!"

The last page is a complete surprise. After measures and measures of up-tempo meanderings comes a page of half notes, whole notes, minor chords, meloncholy...

... And the Lord hath laid on Him
the iniquity of us all.


Baaa!

No comments: