Saturday, February 04, 2006

A moment of unexpected boldness

Unexpected, but not unrehearsed.

I wanted to go to Rami's for dinner today. Well, that's probably not true. I wanted to pass by J. P. Licks. He was working. I passed by, proud of myself. But, of course, I eventually went in.

We flirted while I chose ice cream. I sat, he came out and flirted. He had customers, came back out and flirted. I felt this antsy energy fizzing in me. Finally I got my jacket on, wrapped my scarf around me for an extra defensive layer.

"Yo," I said, calling him to the swinging employee door.
"Yeah?"
"I have to ask you something."
"Yeah?"
"C'mere, though."
He wandered over, his eyebrows peaked in open curiosity.
"Are we ever gonna make out?"
"No," he said, no hesitation. I wasn't looking at him, for that second, but that was silly. We made eye contact.
"Then you need to stop teasing me," I said.
"Okay."
I nodded.
"I'll try to stop being so charming."
"Har."
"Was that fun?"
"Oh yeah."
"Tons of fun..."
"Bye."

A block down Harvard I wanted to run back to give him another order. "Don't ever tell me why." Boys like him seem to love to tell me why, and the list grew in my head as I walked.

You're too crazy, too much to take on.
You're too big... my roommates would make fun of me (Seriously heard this one before.)
I can't be in a relationship right now (until the next girl comes along)...

Fuck this list. Nevermind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't there be some little asteric on what's "too big" if all your weight is in your BOOBS??? I thought that earned creepy men points with their creepy roommates. And who invites someone to a SEX SHOP with no intentions???

The world makes no sense, bottom line. I really don't see any other discernable pattern. I would make some generalized statement about men here, but the truth is women bewilder me too. So it's easy for me to say, but don't take it personally. World = crazy, and people = impossible, simple as that.