Saturday, February 11, 2006

Does Johanna exist?

From "Does Joanna Exist?"

... What sort of world would this be if you

(or anyone, surely Joanna herself)

were to find after a lifetime lived

otherwise that Joanna is not the creature

all had assumed, but is in reality

some weird emanation from eternity

sealed up in a mind that thinks itÂ’s Joanna,

a body that lives in Joanna‚’s house?

...Of course she exists, everyone sighs.

And you exist too, Joanna replies.


-Bonnie Jacobson



I walked myself to Beth Israel Deaconess on Sunday evening, having had a terrible epiphany that I would never get healthy on my own, and having no idea how to get help. I walked to the wrong building, which was a little funny. They took me in an ambulance to the correct one, the ER, where I cried my eyes out with unchecked anxiety. I talked to five different doctors and nurses, telling parts of my story, and then I was left alone in a room with a big glass doors looking out on the nurse's station. I was there for a total of 20 hours while they looked for a bed for me in a psych ward somewhere in Boston.

Another ambulance, another hospital... They had me strapped to a stretcher, but let me walk once we were on the right floor. The people there gave me a kit of toiletries, johnnies to wear, and hospital socks. They were frantic to get me something to eat, but I wasn't hungry. I had arrived during snack time, and all the other patients congregated in the TV room, snatching cookies, oranges, pie, milk... I sat there, trying to eat, looking at the people, hoping they weren't looking at me and I wasn't in anyone's way. Someone poked me with a needle and got a blood sample. Someone else took my blood pressure and temperature. I took a shower with my tiny shampoo bottle and hospital towels, tried not to look in the mirror, went back to my room and put myself to bed.

The next four days were strange. I had meetings with doctors, a nurse assigned to me every shift (and different nurses every day), medication to help me sleep, some slight choice in food that I gradually felt like eating, and bizarre conversations with legitimately crazy people. I showed up for every scheduled event. I monitored my reactions to drugs. I managed stilted friendships with the less debilitated. I made phone calls without completely losing it.

I had to call the Baby Mama on Monday morning, early, to tell her I couldn't work. She asked if I was okay, asked if she could do anything. I told her I'd probably be out all week. I told her I'd be in touch when I could tell her more. She was pure sympathy.

I got a call from her on Tuesday asking if I could work this week. I called her back to tell her I couldn't. She, again, offered her services if I should need them. I said, no, no, I'm fine, thanks... She said, "When you get back home I think we should sit down to talk," in a very serious manner. In other words, I may have gotten fired for getting sick.

I'm back now, but not completely back. I have a day program to go to for the next two or three weeks. My symptoms... well, they were aggravated for a week, so I think they can only get better now. But, it turns out they're not just symptoms; I actually have OCD. Awesome.

I didn't have to be honest about this, but how could I leave it out? I'm trying to be more honest with myself. This was a pretty big event in my life. I didn't disappear completely for a week. I do exist, most of the time. I think.

5 comments:

J E said...

Jo Biv,
I love you and am really proud of you for being so honest with not only yourself, but all of us. I'm sorry that I can't make it all better, or even say the right things. I am thinking about you and lovin you.
Elizabeth

JoBiv said...

I don't know that there ARE right things to say. Just knowing I have your support is enough. Lovin you, too...

Eunice Burns said...

Elizabeth has a knack for saying the right things, even if it's just "I know I can't say the right things to make it better." I feel the same way, Jo. I'm thinking of you and sending positive vibes and strong love your way. I admire your honesty and hope you can continue to be open, mostly with yourself. You are much loved, Jo, and I hope you feel the support.

Sarah said...

JoJo! Hot damn!

Three things, of which I don't know will be anything but amusing; nonetheless:

1) Unfortunately, sometimes people don't hear you until you scream. -- Stefanie Powers

2) I know I place too much importance on the way I appear to the outside world, and I keep things inside too much. I don't like to give pieces of myself away. -- Julie Reece Deaver, Say Goodnight, Gracie

And my favorite quote evor:

3) This isn't right. This isn't even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli

Wish I was there.

Sarah said...

Wait -- scratch #2; you are a heluva good deal more social, friendly, and generally nice than I am. That one's for me.

How about some Cervantes instead:

[S]he who sings frightens away [her] ills.