Monday, November 14, 2005

Good omens?

I continually think I'm losing my mind, as you may know, Gentle Reader. I also think I'm turning evil most days. I think, in general, that my luck has run out.

And then, today, two lovely things happened on a shopping trip to Cambridge Side. Perhaps they counteract Little Things in a light sort of soothing way.


Lovely Thing #1:

After a rigorous four-hour mall-wandering, Jenny (new roomie) and I settled down to dinner at CPK. We looked through our loot a bit, and I noticed one of my bags was missing. I tried not to freak out, just calmly removed all items from all bags... still missing. Damn. The mall was closed by now, and I'd have to make many scary phone calls to many stores tomorrow. Nooo thanks.

After finally paying for a mediocre dinner with poor service, Jenny and I managed to make it to several stores with people still folding and cashing out registers behind the rolling steel doors.

"Excuse me? EXCUSE ME! I think I left a bag here..."

Losing hope, we shuffled to the last store. After the usual whiney story-telling, and the relaying of information around the store, I got a response of, "What, exactly, was in the bag?"

Oh yes, people. It was MY BAG! Yeeeeeeeehaw!


Lovely Thing #2:

At the T station (which has had such a tiny makeover as to completely befuddle Jenny and JoBiv while contemplating how long the shuttle bus ran from Gov't Center to Lechmere), we purchased tokens from the machines. This, you may know, is risky business. One seldom finds a working machine, and if the machine works it often eats your money for breakfast and belches out... NOTHING. Neither of us put large bills in the thing.

I put a buck in, wanting quarters back.

I pushed the button...



A TOKEN fell out!

Cue the heavenly choir!

Here's the miracle which prompted a fevered five-minute bill-feeding frenzy alternating between Jo and Jenny: not only did I actually receive my T fare, it came at a discount! The machine hadn't been updated to the $1.25 rate! Whee!

As I often say, so often that I nauseate myself, it's the little things in life...

No comments: