Thursday, November 03, 2005

Apologies to My Former Therapist, Or denial ain't just a river in Egypt

Who orders PURE VODKA with a twist? Isn't it more civil to order a very, very dry martini? Why not ask for a frickin' IV? Dad put the server on edge with the request. He couldn't help elaborating, "Who needs the other crap. Why crowd out the vodka..."

I hate that the time I spent with my father was mostly spent counting drinks, counting the requests for ME to drink, counting all mentions of drinking... We must have talked of other things. I can't remember.

Why am I surprised every time? Why does it kick my fucking naive ass every time? He said he'd try and it would get better. My mom said it was better. When was that... back in the summer? When I went home I was sure it was just a celebratory mood that kept the booze flowing.

I'm so stupid. I'm so fucking stupid.

2 comments:

J. Carryll Thomas said...

You know what's great? I come from a long line of drinkers on both sides of the family. My grandfather still orders vodka straight up on the rocks. Me, I tried to drown my sorrows in a rum and Cherry Coke Monday night, and all I could do was take a couple sips. Why can't I be like everyone else and enjoy alcohol?

JoBiv said...

The same thing occurs to me every time I see my family. Why can't I just join in? I thought about it last night. Maybe I could outDRINK him... Alas, my stomach was already queasy.

Blegh.