Thursday, February 17, 2005

no sabes

The other day someone asked me, in a flirtatious way, to tell him something that no one else knows about me. I said something like, "When I'm flipping through channels and I see Star Trek: The Next Generation, I have to watch it."

That's not actually something no one knows about me. Kristin knows, the H-Bomb knows, and various others who have had the misfortune of witnessing know.

A few days later I'm still thinking of something no one knows about me. There are things, but they are so intensely private, and generally painful, that they would kill any air of flirtation rather quickly. But, I did realize that there isn't much, in general, that is secret from everyone in my life. Then I began a mental list.

My parents don't know that I've ever had a boyfriend - or a date for that matter. They may think I'm a lesbian.

My brothers don't know how often I talk about them (and how much I miss them).

My... boyfriends? dates? lovers? (hate that word) don't know that I always think those ads for MGH research studies are aimed at me.

My employers don't know that I'm scared of the phone.

My parents also don't know that I never sleep when I'm home, despite their belief that it will be soooo nice to sleep in my own bed.

My friends don't know that I've never had friends as amazing as they are.

That's not a super long list, but let's just pretend I'm an intriguing enigma, shall we?

No comments: