Wednesday, February 04, 2009

I fall down sometimes.

Especially when it's icy and gross outside, and the irresponsible/over-privileged citizens of Brookline and Boston don't clear their sidewalks.

The other day I did a split on some black ice. Well, it was more of a jack-knife maneuver than anything, but the result was the same searing muscle pain that comes from stretching a part of one's body that has not been stretched in, oh, say, ever.

Over the course of two days, I fell five times.

Other people fall down when it's icy. I just fall more. It's this here limp, y'see. It's the lack of control over my left foot. I think I'm fine and then I slip a little and can't get my muscles to do what they're supposed to and fwoop, "Mother EFFER!" Down I go.

At the moment I'm sitting in bed after my get-this-coffee-smell-offa-me shower and letting my scabs dry and heal while my knees are bent so they won't tear open when I go to walk. I remembered that trick from childhood playground injuries of yore.

My knees always looked like this in those days.

Although I did tan better back then.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

good tip on how to keep scabby knees from hurting worse! where were you when i was in kindergarten and got banned from the playground because i ended up with scraped knees so often? i could've used that advice then. also, i remember being so shocked at how people never shoveled in boston. here in minnesota, everyone knows you do it IMMEDIATELY, if not actually while it is still snowing. the city will fine you $60 here if your walk is not shoveled 24 hours after a snowfall!

JoBiv said...

It's the same thing in Western NY. People are shoveling while it's snowing, because they know it'll break their backs if they wait 'til the storm's over. Supposedly there are huge fines in Boston but I've never heard of anyone enforcing them.

Of course, I also walk to the train at 5am, which is hours before anyone could be expected to clear a sidewalk. Think I'll have to invest in kneepads.