Monday, June 26, 2006

The metamorphosis

I may have mentioned before that my brothers hurt me most deeply when they compare me to my Aunt. This aunt.

I realize there is family resemblance. She's a cutie - I don't mind looking like her. We have a similar sense of humor, which, again, I count as a blessing.

But we're also both sad. Joanie's been struggling all her life, still struggles every day. I don't want to believe that I'm similarly doomed. I want to believe that I will have this thing in my ribcage fairly tranquilized for large stretches of my life.

I spent a few days with Joanie when I went home to see the new baby. We had fun. She had fun drawing parallels between us. It felt strange. Everything she said seemed familiar and true. I can't stop thinking about the many ways my life veers toward the tracks she laid.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Don't be sad Jo! You're too much fun to be sad. Cling to the things you love, brush off the things that bother you. Life's too short to do it any other way. Wanna spend a day at the beach? Consider this an open invitation.

Sarah said...

Hmmm...I am seeing something...it's blurry...hmm...I see that you will need some time in, in, in...Texas? Can it be? Yes -- you will need to spend some time in Texas in the near future.

The end.

Sarah said...

Hey -- we've got a tie over at the book club for next month. Wanna break it? Miss you over there.