Saturday, March 19, 2005

Please play again

(Warning: CAPS FOR EMPHASIS will be used, perhaps abused, in this post.)

My Pepsi bottle just called me a loser.

I never notice that I'm playing a game until I lose it and feel suddenly disoriented and... lacking? This goes for any game, including games I willingly begin, like pool, checkers, and Try to Outrun the T So You Don't Have to Wait Twenty Minutes for the Next One. Each time I lose this kind of game, I say, "Wait, I don't think I was playing. Was I playing? Do over! Do over!"

You can imagine how crushed I am that my Pepsi bottle called me a loser when I didn't even know there was a game on. I just untwisted the cap and noticed some writing on the inside:

PLEASE PLAY AGAIN

But... but... I wasn't ready!!

And so, no kidding, I rescrew the cap, place the Pepsi next to the monitor, and next time I'm thirsty I check again, as though maybe I somehow gained skill in this game since the last time I opened the bottle, as though now it will say,

JOBIV, YOU ARE A WINNER! HOLY COW, WE NEVER THOUGHT YOU'D BEAT US! DIDN'T SEE THAT COMIN'!

Keep in mind that at this point I still haven't even looked at the bottle to see what I'm winning or losing. I'm just crushed that I lost. When I finally look (that is to say, this very second while I'm looking), I see that I have been denied a FREE Song on iTunes. That's right, I have managed not to win a single, that is ONE, song from a music service I don't even use! Even if I had won, I don't have an iPod or any other device that plays digital music. I don't even have my own computer, so I couldn't download it there. I could maybe burn that one song to a CD, and that could be the Sacred CD of the Song I Won From Pepsi.

And then I would still be a loser.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JoBiv is a loser, but at least she is a loser who is willing to eat Thai food with me on Sundays and then sit in the bar (WHICH IS NOW MY HOME) and not pout too much while I get my work "done." I'm just kidding. JoBiv ain't no loser and I'll beat up the next person who says she is. You hear me, I'll beat you up.

Sarah said...

JoJo, if ever there comes a day when you DO win a free song on iTunes, I think it would be evor so nice if you gave it to me.

Just a thought.